Using BreathTek UBT in Children
BreathTek® UBT for H. pylori delivers excellent sensitivity (96%) and specificity (99%) for diagnosing H. pylori in pediatric patients1
|3-5 Years||6-12 Years|
|Age||All Pediatric Age Groups|
Study design: A multicenter, open-label study. The primary endpoint analysis was conducted to determine the sensitivity and specificity of the BreathTek UBT UHR to the composite reference method criteria for the 176 evaluable cases. The table demonstrates the diagnostic performance of the BreathTek UBT (expressed as UHR) compared to the composite reference method criteria in pediatric patients ages 3 to 17 years.
When using BreathTek UBT, false negative test results may be caused by:
- Ingestion of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) within 2 weeks prior to performing the BreathTek UBT. If a negative result is obtained from a patient ingesting a PPI within 2 weeks prior to the BreathTek UBT, it may be a false negative result and the test should be repeated 2 weeks after discontinuing the PPI treatment. A positive result for a patient on a PPI could be considered positive and be acted upon
- Ingestion of antibiotics, or bismuth preparations within 2 weeks prior to performing the BreathTek UBT
- Premature POST-DOSE breath collection time for a patient with a marginally positive BreathTek UBT result
- Post-treatment assessment with the BreathTek UBT less than 4 weeks after completion of treatment for the eradication of H. pylori
False positive test results may be caused by urease associated with other gastric spiral organisms observed in humans, such as Helicobacter heilmannii or achlorhydria. Oral contamination associated with urease-containing bacteria may cause false positive results — especially when the straw provided in the BreathTek UBT kit is not used.
The web-based Pediatric Urea Hydrolysis Rate Calculation Application (pUHR-CA) is needed to determine pediatric patient test results.
- The pUHR-CA is available at BreathtekKids.com
- When accessing the calculator for the first time, you will need to create an account
For in-office sample collection and lab analysis:
- Administer the test in your office as you would with adult patients. Click here for Patient Preparation and Test Administration instructions
- Complete the pediatric UHR card with the following information—which is needed so that the lab can perform the analysis and pUHR calculation:
Breath sample analysis must be performed within 7 days of breath sample collection.
Start using BreathTek UBT now.
For more information, contact OAPI customer service at 1.888.637.3835 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org so a representative can contact you.